I wrote this for a DIY client. Perhaps you will find it useful as well:
1. Toss any clothes you haven't worn in a year or longer and/or just don't like. E.g., a sweater that you don't like the color of and never wear (recycle). If it doesn't bring you joy, don't keep it. (Marie Kondo)
2. Keep like with like. All coats together, sweaters together, jeans together, etc. Roll t-shirts and other things in your drawer to make more room and keep wrinkles at bay. I suggest you follow the Marie Kondo way of folding, which is what I use for t-shirts and jeans. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs7Lk6WOM7Y)
3. Ask yourself "where would I look for it?" and store it there so you can easily find it at any time.
4. Keep a basket at the front door for new mail. Go through it immediately, recycle the junk (perhaps have a small trashcan or shredder there). Put files on your desktop for bills to pay, to do and urgent. File other mail away asap.
5. Keep your keys, sunglasses, keycard, etc. in that front door basket as well. That way you won't misplace them.
6. Leave anything that you need to take with you at the front door. I also put large post-its on the front door if there is something special I have to remember in the morning (like making a call before leaving for work).
7. Don't let items get pushed behind others so you forget they exist.
8. Look at the items in your closets. If you have items you must keep but rarely use, set aside a small closet for those (if you have no offsite storage).
9. In kitchen cabinets, purge as much as possible and, again, store like with like, including food. Look at expiration dates!
10. Organize your bathroom items and only keep things in there that you use. Maybe get something to hang on the wall to give you more room.
11. Organize your makeup and other personal items. Use small plastic bins to separate things, such as foundation, mascara, brushes, etc. Same for jewelry. Things ideally can be stored in top dresser drawers.
12. Organizing bins are very helpful in closets (think hats, gloves) and for makeup, jewelry, etc. You can find them at the 99 Cent Store or the Dollar Store. You can also shop at the Container Store, a bit pricey but great storage solutions.
13. The secret to organizing is creating systems. If you follow those systems, things will stay relatively organized. Every once in a while, or when you notice things slipping, put them back in order RIGHT AWAY or you will end up back where you started, or worse.
14. If you make up your bed every morning, it sets the tone of organization for the day. Seriously!
Good luck, and I will be back in touch soon.
If you are interested in a DIY project, see my Services page for more information.